These are some things to remember when negotiating rates for photographs to be broadcast. And please send us your accounts of successful negotiations.
- The rates suggested for copyright work are for limited licences; in particular, the stock picture rates are for the first transmission and separate fees must be negotiated for repeats of the same show or for use in other shows;
- The rates suggested are for transmission in the UK only and a separate fee must be negotiated for transmission elsewhere;
- These rates should not include assignment of copyright but broadcasting companies tend to expect extended use;
- The suggested rates are minima from which freelances negotiate upward according to the value of the work; and
- Freelances who are registered for VAT will add it to every invoice.
See the Telpic agreement (version4: RTF file) for terms offered by the BBC.
The National Union of Journalists must not, can not and would not wish to dictate rates or terms of engagement to members or to editors. The information presented here is for guidance and as an aid to equitable negotiation only.
Suggestions apply to contracts governed by UK law only. In any event, nothing here should be construed as legal advice.