IFJ insurance for journalists

THE International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), of which the NUJ is a part, now offers insurance for journalists working in hazardous areas. It covers the usual situations that more conventional insurers don't like - war, rebellion, civil war or terrorism. It'll get you home and provide you (or your survivors) with up to $100,000 for accidental death or disablement.

The cover is from 1-4 weeks and the premium depends on the "risk level" of the "zone" you're working in. The zone of highest risk - a list of countries similar to those covered by Trump's travel ban, plus some Russian regions - will set you back around $60 a week; premiums for "lowest risk" places including the UK and Australia and, for now, the US, start at $12.

There are also admin fees, terms and conditions and all the rest of it. While the Freelance cannot by law endorse financial products, the IFJ's insurance looks like as good a deal as you're likely to get, from our cursory glace at it. More at https://insuranceforjournalists.com/ifj/.

This insurance for journalists scheme is open to members who hold an IFJ International Press Card - another reason to get one. For details of how, see here